Advanced Disposal Careers
Database Administration and Analytics Manager
Advanced Disposal Services, Inc. is a company that brings fresh ideas and solutions to the business of a clean environment. It is our people who make the difference and leave the world a cleaner, more beautiful place. We are proud to provide cost-effective and environmentally-sound solutions for waste and recycling collection, transportation, processing and disposal. But we do much more than collect garbage. We truly are an environmental services company, and we are looking for our next environmental hero who has the talent and dedication to fulfill our mission: Every day, Driven to Deliver Service First, Safety Always.
The Manager, Database Administration and Analytics is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating the design, installation, and connectivity of database infrastructure to ensure the stable operation of the organization's databases and data. This includes developing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all new and existing database components and software. In addition, this role is responsible for spearheading data analysis (historical, real time and predictive) and reporting initiatives across the enterprise.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
While this list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive, it may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary and as skills allow.
- Provide Database Administrators with day-to-day management and direction, including internal and external resources
- Secure database by developing policies, procedures, and controls. Ensures data is protected and backed up
- Maintain database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls
- Monitor database efficiency and maintains database performance by troubleshooting problems
- Keep senior technical management informed by preparing reports on system performance and problems
- Upgrade hardware and software by assessing transaction processing and database production options
- Accomplish platform upgrades and improvements by supervising system programming
- Prepare for database expansion by studying plans and requirements; advising senior technical management; coordinating design and programming
- Ensure data & analytics models and architecture is robust, scalable and maintainable
- Create complex query definitions that allow data to be extracted
- Train colleagues in how to input and extract data
- Identify, screen and evaluate new solution opportunities to address unmet customer needs
- Establish and maintain strong business relationships with both senior and operating level business leaders
- Stay abreast of business strategy, goals, objectives and operational performance
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Professional attitude with ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Superior leadership abilities, including ability to share knowledge, influence decisions and maintain relationships
- Strong analytical skills, including understanding of business, system and operational processes
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate complex information effectively
- Strong Understanding of structured query language (SQL)
- Knowledge of 'relational database management systems' (RDBMS), 'object oriented database management systems' (OODBMS) and XML database management systems
- Assurant that data is protected and backed up
- Experience with database software/web applications
- Able to conduct research into networking issues and products as required
- Strong organizational skills; capability to effectively plan, prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions during emergency situations
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to think strategically, problem solve and plan accordingly
- Ability to multi-task with a variety of tasks and projects
- Ability to perform general mathematical calculations for the purpose of creating needs
- assessments, budgets, and forecasting
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in related studies or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience designing, developing, and producing reports from a database application
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing people; Experience in coaching, counseling, assisting employees to develop individual career development and training plans
- Experience with big data tools such as: Teradata, Aster, Hadoop, etc.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as: Tableau, Raw, chart.js, etc.
- Experience with IBM Cognos, Adobe Analytics and other analytics tools
- 6+ years of experience working with Oracle or MS SQL (familiarity with both is preferred)
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Occasional travel may be required.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to organize various office systems through adjusting, connecting, lifting, pulling, pushing, bending or folding for the purpose of proper records development and/or management
- Ability to use a computer and related devices, such as a keyboard or mouse or other related equipment, throughout the workday while seated at a desk or workstation
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms
- Occasional sitting (working at computer) or standing (providing training, presentations) for long periods