Advanced Disposal Careers
Residential Driver Trainer
Educate, train and orient new Drivers and current employees on procedures for proper inspection, defensive driving and safe operation of vehicles for collection, transport, and disposal of solid waste.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Educate, train and orient new Drivers on procedures for proper inspection and safe operation of vehicles for collection, transport and disposal of solid waste
- Provide defensive driving training to new and current employees
- May evaluate driving skills of driver candidates by conducting road tests
- Increase the level of Driver proficiency through training and effective communication
- May perform Driver evaluations and re-evaluations
- Ensure training records are maintained and administer appropriate tests to determine Drivers' proficiency in company procedures and defensive driving
- May investigate vehicle and personal injury accidents to improve training and correct work practices. May provide retraining for drivers following preventable accidents
- May develop or select teaching aids such as training handbooks, demonstration models, multimedia visual aids, computer tutorials, and reference works
- Prepare reports on training metrics as required
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate detailed instructions and train new drivers
- Knowledge of DOT, OSHA and other related state and federal regulations
- Knowledge of ANSI standards and the Smith System
- Ability to teach defensive driving in the classroom and in the truck
- Ability to teach the safe operation of refuse equipment
- Working knowledge of mechanics, hydraulics systems and safety devices on each type of refuse truck
Education: High School diploma, general education degree or equivalent work experience
Years of Experience: Five years commercial truck driving experience, including standard transmission (if applicable); Minimum two years of experience in refuse truck operations
Certifications: Valid Class A or B CDL
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE USED:
- All types of waste collection trucks and associated equipment
- Usual office equipment including computer, phone, fax machine, copier and calculator
- MS Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Possible exposure to residential and commercial solid waste
- Risks associated with working around machines, tools and/or trucks.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to organize various office systems through adjusting, connecting, lifting, pulling, pushing, bending or folding for the purpose of proper records development and/or management
- Ability to use a computer and related devices, such as a keyboard or mouse or other related equipment, throughout the workday and while conducting training
- Physical mobility to climb into and out of truck
- Ability to discern color sufficiently to interpret warning lights and traffic lights
This job description is not a contract and does not affect the at-will nature of your employment relationship with Advanced Disposal. Furthermore, this job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and does not and cannot address every responsibility or duty you may be expected to perform during your employment. Advanced Disposal reserves the right to modify or amend this job description at its discretion, without prior notice.
All qualified applicants considered regardless of ethnicity, nationality, gender, veteran or disability status, religion, age, gender orientation or other protected status.